Sacred Heart & St. Thomas
Christ instituted the sacraments of the new law. The seven sacraments touch all stages and all the important moments of Christian life: they give birth and increase, healing and mission to the Christian’s life of faith. There is thus a resemblance between the stages of natural life and the stages of spiritual l ife. In the sacraments, we meet Christ and he gives us SANCTIFYING GRACE. The Sacraments unfailingly give grace because Christ works through them.
SACRAMENTS OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION
1) Sacrament of Baptism: Infant Baptisms are celebrated throughout the year. Baptism preparation classes for parents are required and are held quarterly in March, June, September and December. A baptismal date may be obtained by contacting the parish offices.
If you need a copy of your baptismal certificate, and you were baptized at our parishes, you may call the parish office or click here to submit an email with the following information in the message field: your name, a phone number for us to contact you, the reason for the Certificate, your birth date, your baptismal date or year, and the address of where to send the certificate.
2) Sacrament of Confirmation: The Sacrament of Confirmation is planned for youth in eighth grade. Preparation is incorporated into the Children’s Religious Education year. Confirmation is done by the Bishop at the Cathedral in Grand Rapids. The date is determined by the Bishops office.
3) Sacrament of Eucharist: We gather as a community for the Eucharist on both a weekly and daily basis. Current times for these celebrations are printed in the parish bulletin or may be obtained by calling the parish office.
The Sacrament of First Eucharist is planned for children in second grade. Preparation is incorporated into the Children’s Religious Education year.
Communion for the Homebound: Ministers of Care will bring Holy Communion to you when you are ill or unable to join us in Sunday worship.
THE SACRAMENTS OF HEALING
4) Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation: This Sacrament is celebrated on Saturdays, 4:00-4:45 p.m. The sacrament of penance and reconciliation can also be scheduled by appointment through the parish office.
First Reconciliation – The sacrament of First Reconciliation is planned for children before First Eucharist. Preparation is incorporated into the Children’s Religious Education year.
5) Anointing of the Sick: Please make arrangements at the beginning of a serious illness or when surgery is first scheduled to celebrate this sacrament. Visits to homes/hospitals can be arranged. In case of an emergency, please call the parish office.
THE SACRAMENTS AT THE SERVICE OF COMMUNION
6) Sacrament of Holy Orders: Those wishing to receive Holy Orders dedicate themselves towards the salvation of others.
7) Sacrament of Matrimony: Marriages are celebrated throughout the year. Please contact the parish office at least six months prior to the date of the marriage to ensure adequate time for preparation.